What is URPU?
URPU is a local Jabber or XMPP chat program which works very much like MXit.
You can add other students as your friends by searching for them or entering
their student number. URPU is encrypted giving you a secure way to chat to your friends.
If you are using Windows there are multiple instant messaging programs
you can use. The custom one designed here at Stellenbosch is called URPU.
For more information or to download it go to
Although URPU is a very nice client program to use a good alternative is
Pidgin. Pidgin supports MXit, GTalk, Yahoo, MSN, Facebookchat, Twitter and many more.
This allows you to have only one program open on your computer with which
you can chat to anybody on any one of your social networks. To get Pidgin
go to pidgin.im.
This guide for windows explains how to get URPU up and working for windows.
To set up Pidgin, follow the steps for Linux below, as it is the same
as on Windows.
- Download URPU here.
- Register for URPU here too by entering your student number and campus password.
- Install URPU.
- When running the program for the first time it should ask for your username (student number) and password. Enter it.
- Add friends and chat to them.
Get Pidgin here or Adium here and then follow the steps for Linux.
Urpu is the name of our local Jabber chat server. For Windows there
exists a custom client for use on campus, but not for Linux. Because
XMPP is a standardized protocol, one can use any Jabber chat client
to connect to our local server. Because it is widely used and runs
on Linux, Windows and Mac, we encourage the use of Pidgin. Other
clients that should also work is Empathy and Spark.
Before you start: register or make sure you are registered for URPU here.
How to set up Pidgin for Urpu
- Install Pidgin.
- Open Pidgin and go to Accounts => Manage Accounts and
click on Add.
- Fill in the info on the three tabs as in the images below. Use
your Stellenbosch network username and password. Resource may be
anything describing this instance of your account.
- Click on Add, add a tick mark next to the new account and close
the Account Management window.
- In the main Pidgin window you should now see your contacts that
is online. If you do not have any contacts yet, go to Accounts
=> ###@sun.ac.za/... (XMPP) => Search for users.
- Enter a user directory, 'urpu.sun.ac.za', search directory.
- Enter a student number, name or surname and click on OK.
- The search results window will show users that was found. Choose
one and click on add.
- An invite will be sent to the user and if he accepts, he will be
shown as online in your buddy list.
Voice and Video
If you right click on a contact, it might show Audio call or
Audio/Video call. It will only be visible if the contact
supports audio or video calls.
© A JPMeijers.com creation.